Most press releases include the following key ingredients:
- The words "FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE" in all caps on a separate line.
- Headline, e.g. "Something New To Do In The Toilet: Take Pictures of Graffiti and Post them Online".
- Dateline, e.g. "Providence, RI, December 11, 2005
- Lede (immediately following the dateline), e.g. "ToiletLines.net, a new Web site, presents images of bathroom graffiti taken with camera phones. Visitors are encouraged to submit their own pictures and leave stickers behind."
- Main text. This is written as a sample news story, including quotes from key players. It should include all of the important information, ideas, and details.
- Contact information: identify a primary press contact and include his or her name, email address, and phone number.
- Pound signs: for some reason, most press releases end with three pound signs, separated by single spaces, e.g. # # # #
Here are a few sample press releases. Feel free to add more.
- NEW MULTI MEDIA PERFORMANCE WORK FINDS TODAY'S ALADDIN ALONG A DIGITAL SILK ROUTE
- Rhizome ArtBase Reaches 1,000 Works
- A more informal press release email: News: Warren Neidich-Artists Space-NYC